In addition to the statement issued yesterday we enclose the information provided by the Poznań Police commissioner and regarding the expected forms and scale of protests planned for 27th and 28th June 2014. This information underlied the decision to cancel the ‘Golgota Picnic’ performance.
Part of the Poznań Police Commissioner response to the questions asked in writing on 15 June 2014, regarding the scale and forms of protests.
Poznań Police Commissioner, June 16 2014
On 27 and 28 June 2014 the following public gathering are planned near CK Zamek (Castle Cultural Centre):
• 27 and 28 June 2014 18.00 – 24.00 with the expected attendance of 50,000 people
• 27 and 28 June 2014 20.30 – 22.30 with the expected attendance of 500 people
The aforementioned gatherings are intended to protest in public against the presentation of the show ‘Golgota Picnic’ during the Malta Festival.
The above mentioned gatherings are to be attended by the members of Stowarzyszenie Wielkopolscy Patrioci (Association of Wielkopolska Patriots), PiS (Law and Justice) party members of parliament and activists, members of Ruch Narodowy (National Movement), Młodzież Wszechpolska, Stowarzyszenie Dzierżoniowscy Patrioci (Association of Dzierżoniów Patriots), Stowarzyszenie Gnieźnieńscy Patrioci (Association of Gniezno Patriots), (Śląsk Wrocław Footbal Fans), Lechia Gdańsk Football Fans, Piła Legion (Lech Poznań).
(…) having analyzed the information posted online as well as information received from other sources it should be concluded that the participants of the gatherings will take an active and passive part in actions intended to prevent the performance
Summing up it is necessary to consider some possible scenarios of the forthcoming events:
1. The blockade of Castle Cultural Centre building by people being the participants of legitimate public gatherings. It should be mentioned that the gatherings were declared with such time estimate so that the participants have the possibility to enforce the active and passive blockade of the whole building. The gathering with 50,000 participants will also block the streets used by artists and spectators.
2. Active attempts at blocking the access to the building for the artists, spectators and invited guests.
3. Forcible entry of the building followed by its occupation, which may result in preventing the performance. CK Zamek is a building open to the public, so the attempts to do so by the protesters should be expected.
In accordance with the Gatherings Act it is the organizer who is responsible for the course of events during the gathering. The information received from Citizen Affairs Departament of Municipal Office shows that the persons organizing the aforementioned gatherings so far have not taken any security measures to ensure the peaceful nature of the event.
I also inform that:
On 16 June 2014 I referred the request to the Mayor of Poznań to change the date and location of the performance in view of dire threat to public safety.
On 20 June 2014 we asked the Police to reissue an opinion concerning the security situation. On the same day we received the answer, part of which is published below
Poznań Police Commissioner, June 20 2014
To the opponents of the persons and organizations protesting against the presentation of the show
1. „ Wielkopolscy Patrioci” (Wielkopolska Patriots) represented by Mr. Maciej Witzberg,
2. „Ruch Narodowy Wielkopolska” (National Movement Wielkopolska)
3. „Stowarzyszenie Kongresu Kobiet Konserwatywnych” (Association of Conservative Women Congress)
4. MP Andrzej Jaworski,
The mentioned organizations and persons declared their participation in the gatherings as well as” joining the protest”, which is difficult to interpret. That also refers to football hooligans supporting Lechia Gdańsk, Śląsk Wrocław i Lech Poznań football clubs.
In the media and internet we witness the ongoing escalation of negative feeling concerning the presentation of the show „Golgota Piwnic”. Third parties, who refuse to disclose their personal data and intentions, expressed their willingness to disrupt the event.
Given this, having analyzed all the information, including the sensitive information, I maintain my existing position on the fact that we should expect the participants of legitimate gatherings, protests and Church procession to participate actively and passively in actions preventing the the given performance.